- 1 Objective
- 2 Guests from abroad
- 3 Spaces we've visited
- 3.1 Abroad
- 3.2 Germany
Our goal is to learn from other hacker & maker spaces, fablabs, computer clubs and other nerd assemblies of all sorts around the globe. That's why we like to visit those locations whenever we get a chance to while being abroad. Ideally this may lead to a return visit, the exchange of good ideas and lasting friendships. If you're visiting the Frankfurt/Rhein-Main metropolitan region or if you're an exchange student, please consider dropping by. You're also welcome outside the official open space hours, please drop us a line on IRC (#schaffenburg @ irc.hackint.org), Facebook, WhatsApp, E-Mail. We've experienced very warm welcomes, interesting conversations and great hospitality in other spaces and we indend to provide the same! And bring your hackerspace passports :)
Our foreign affairs officer is Fraxinas
Guests from abroad
Makerspace Nanaimo's Chris Gerlinsky
Visited us: 2018-08-16
- from Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
- a friend of naxobyte who invited him to our space
- works as a self-employed reverse engineer
- recognized for his research in cracking pay TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbSD1Jba0Q
- https://makerspacenanaimo.org/ https://twitter.com/NanaimoMakers
- about 60 members
- weekly electronics, software and game nights
- keyless entry with personalized FOBs and presence logging
Alex and Nico from Project Vulca
Spaces we've visited
Visited by Hendi, December 18, 2018. Just a short unscheduled visit, met Ivan and Tanya there, preparing a laser cutting workshop.
Fablab located close to city center at the bank of the Lubljanica river, housed in two "upcycled" former goods containers, 46.050791N, 14.516106E
- Laser printer, CNC mill, several filament deposition printers and a laser lithography printer, cutting plotter and t-shirt press available.
- Small and cozy space.
- Open about every day, regular workshops to teach guests about the tools and machines.
- Member of FabLabNet - Interreg EU Programme, Housing containers aquired by a EU programme for reuse of industrial material, too.
Visited by: Fraxinas, 2011-10-26
Visited by: Fraxinas, 2017-12-30 Situated in an engineering institute 30 minutes (by tram) outside Riga city center. Very notable activity: A hacking olympics in 2016 which consisted of multiple quests to solve, ranging from theoretical computer science, hacking, amateur radio, mechanical puzzles. Thank arsenijs for the tour!
Visited by: Fraxinas, 2018-03-01
Helsinki Hacklab resides in a basement of a crafts business building 20 minutes (by car) outside Helsinki city center. They have 400+ m² which divide into
- a storage area (1 plastic box per member)
- a metal workshop (incl. lathe, drill press, welding equipment, smelting furnace...)
- a big lounge / seminar room with adjacent kitchen
- small library room
- CNC workshop with adjacent paint spraying room
- electronics workshop
- a room sublet for the "Finnish Space Agency" / builders of model rockets
- a very big wood workshop with adjacent sublet workshop for a professional joiner
Visited by: Fraxinas, 2018-03-02
It is situated in a commercial area 10 minutes (by car) outside Tampere centrum.
- Over 300 members
- 150W laser cutter
- plasma cutter
Entry system by a GSM module which recoginzes caller IDs
Thanks to Ketturi & Otto for the tour!
All the Finish hackerspaces are part of the http://hacklab.fi/ collective. This is a very interesting approach which reminds us a bit of some of the ideas of Chaos Computer Club (CCC) which we are losely associated with. It gives the Finish hackerspaces a concerted voice when it comes to political discussions. This is something that in Germany the CCC raises the claim of, our hacker spaces really aren't really a political discussion partner yet because they lack an umbrella organization.
NOT visited by: Fraxinas, 2018-05-08
- Altlab is the only Portuguese Hackerspace listed on https://wiki.hackerspaces.org
- supposedly still active, despites few members
- twitters technews compilations on a weekly base
- public open day is tuesday (who would have guessed) 21-23h
- I went there, met 2 other hackers from Germany & Holland in front of the closed door. We waited for >1h, no reply to our twitter message and e-mail (still no reply after a week)
- pretty poor user experience
Visited by: Fraxinas, 2018-10-26
- Exists since 2010
- ~100 members
- The space is located in Summerhall, the former veterinary college of the University of Edinburgh
- Split into mainly 4 rooms (are hoping to get additional rooms on the floor to grow)
- "Main" Room: Conference Room, "Shop" Board for common parts / Arduinos etc., small fridge, minimalist kitchen (only source of Club Mate in Scotland), Hamradio Station, Electronics & Measurement equipment
- "Metal Workshop": Lathe, Circular and Band Saws, Sanders, Big Router, Welding Equipment
- "Laser Room": 2 Laser cutters (one is 100W, 2x our size) plus filters and cooling, smaller cnc router
- "Storage": 2x 3D Printers (Prusa 3, Ultimaker), Member Boxes, Server Rack with their own ISP Endpoint
What I liked best:
- All rooms and big machines are access restricted with personalized NFC tokens (e.g. Oyster card)
- "Shop"-wall for often needed electronics items
- Location in an arts exhibition center / independent conference center / coworking place
- centralized, laser-cut cash box with separate slots for shop, drinks, donation, laser cutting, 3D printing
Robots & Dinosaurs Sydney
Visited by: virengos 2017-10-07
IdeaLab Novi Sad
Visited by: JanT 21. Jun. 2019
- Exists since 2017?
- ? members
- The space is located on the main campus
- It is funded by EU and university, so it's very new, shiney and tidy but is not yet fully equipped
- only two rooms
Creative Space Timisoara (Temeschvar)
Visited by: JanT 4. Jul. 2019
- less than 5 active members
- The space is located in a industrial area outside of town
- It is funded by the few main people
- More than 100m², a lot of rooms, a lot of machines
- same problem as in Novi Sad: No interest by local people. They come, see, tell "great" and are never seen again.
Fablab Neckar-Alb Reutlingen
Code for Heilbronn
Frequently visited by Fraxinas (+ byteturtle, Robert, Hendi)
- very well equipped spacious premises
- very low membership fee (30€ annually, due to subsidised rent)
- most of all: they're an extraordinarily good team
- i've invited their board members to come visit and tell us about their secrets
- have helped us out with 5 members for the repair café 2018-09-29 !!
CCC Frankfurt am Main
- Counter-visit from Franz T. 2018-09-4