- 1 Objective
- 2 Guests from abroad
- 3 Spaces we've visited
- 3.1 Abroad
- 3.2 Germany
Our goal is to learn from other hacker & maker spaces, fablabs, computer clubs and other nerd assemblies of all sorts around the globe. That's why we like to visit those locations whenever we get a chance to while being abroad. Ideally this may lead to a return visit, the exchange of good ideas and lasting friendships. If you're visiting the Frankfurt/Rhein-Main metropolitan region or if you're an exchange student, please consider dropping by. You're also welcome outside the official open space hours, please drop us a line on IRC (#schaffenburg @ irc.hackint.org), Facebook, WhatsApp, E-Mail. We've experienced very warm welcomes, interesting conversations and great hospitality in other spaces and we indend to provide the same! And bring your hackerspace passports :)
Our foreign affairs officer is Fraxinas
Guests from abroad
Makerspace Nanaimo's Chris Gerlinsky
Visited us: 2018-08-16
- from Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
- a friend of naxobyte who invited him to our space
- works as a self-employed reverse engineer
- recognized for his research in cracking pay TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbSD1Jba0Q
- https://makerspacenanaimo.org/ https://twitter.com/NanaimoMakers
- about 60 members
- weekly electronics, software and game nights
- keyless entry with personalized FOBs and presence logging
Alex and Nico from Project Vulca
Spaces we've visited
Visited by Hendi, December 18, 2018. Just a short unscheduled visit, met Ivan and Tanya there, preparing a laser cutting workshop.
Fablab located close to city center at the bank of the Lubljanica river, housed in two "upcycled" former goods containers, 46.050791N, 14.516106E
- Laser printer, CNC mill, several filament deposition printers and a laser lithography printer, cutting plotter and t-shirt press available.
- Small and cozy space.
- Open about every day, regular workshops to teach guests about the tools and machines.
- Member of FabLabNet - Interreg EU Programme, Housing containers aquired by a EU programme for reuse of industrial material, too.
Visited by: Fraxinas, 2011-10-26
Visited by: Fraxinas, 2017-12-30 Situated in an engineering institute 30 minutes (by tram) outside Riga city center. Very notable activity: A hacking olympics in 2016 which consisted of multiple quests to solve, ranging from theoretical computer science, hacking, amateur radio, mechanical puzzles. Thank arsenijs for the tour!
Visited by: Fraxinas, 2018-03-01
Helsinki Hacklab resides in a basement of a crafts business building 20 minutes (by car) outside Helsinki city center. They have 400+ m² which divide into
- a storage area (1 plastic box per member)
- a metal workshop (incl. lathe, drill press, welding equipment, smelting furnace...)
- a big lounge / seminar room with adjacent kitchen
- small library room
- CNC workshop with adjacent paint spraying room
- electronics workshop
- a room sublet for the "Finnish Space Agency" / builders of model rockets
- a very big wood workshop with adjacent sublet workshop for a professional joiner
Visited by: Fraxinas, 2018-03-02
It is situated in a commercial area 10 minutes (by car) outside Tampere centrum.
- Over 300 members
- 150W laser cutter
- plasma cutter
Entry system by a GSM module which recoginzes caller IDs
Thanks to Ketturi & Otto for the tour!
All the Finish hackerspaces are part of the http://hacklab.fi/ collective. This is a very interesting approach which reminds us a bit of some of the ideas of Chaos Computer Club (CCC) which we are losely associated with. It gives the Finish hackerspaces a concerted voice when it comes to political discussions. This is something that in Germany the CCC raises the claim of, our hacker spaces really aren't really a political discussion partner yet because they lack an umbrella organization.
NOT visited by: Fraxinas, 2018-05-08
- Altlab is the only Portuguese Hackerspace listed on https://wiki.hackerspaces.org
- supposedly still active, despites few members
- twitters technews compilations on a weekly base
- public open day is tuesday (who would have guessed) 21-23h
- I went there, met 2 other hackers from Germany & Holland in front of the closed door. We waited for >1h, no reply to our twitter message and e-mail (still no reply after a week)
- pretty poor user experience
Visited by: Fraxinas, 2018-10-26
- Exists since 2010
- ~100 members
- The space is located in Summerhall, the former veterinary college of the University of Edinburgh
- Split into mainly 4 rooms (are hoping to get additional rooms on the floor to grow)
- "Main" Room: Conference Room, "Shop" Board for common parts / Arduinos etc., small fridge, minimalist kitchen (only source of Club Mate in Scotland), Hamradio Station, Electronics & Measurement equipment
- "Metal Workshop": Lathe, Circular and Band Saws, Sanders, Big Router, Welding Equipment
- "Laser Room": 2 Laser cutters (one is 100W, 2x our size) plus filters and cooling, smaller cnc router
- "Storage": 2x 3D Printers (Prusa 3, Ultimaker), Member Boxes, Server Rack with their own ISP Endpoint
What I liked best:
- All rooms and big machines are access restricted with personalized NFC tokens (e.g. Oyster card)
- "Shop"-wall for often needed electronics items
- Location in an arts exhibition center / independent conference center / coworking place
- centralized, laser-cut cash box with separate slots for shop, drinks, donation, laser cutting, 3D printing
Robots & Dinosaurs Sydney
Visited by: virengos 2017-10-07
IdeaLab Novi Sad
Visited by: JanT 21. Jun. 2019
- Exists since 2017?
- ? members
- The space is located on the main campus
- It is funded by EU and university, so it's very new, shiney and tidy but is not yet fully equipped
- only two rooms
Creative Space Timisoara (Temeschvar)
Visited by: JanT 4. Jul. 2019
- less than 5 active members
- The space is located in a industrial area outside of town
- It is funded by the few main people
- More than 100m², a lot of rooms, a lot of machines
- same problem as in Novi Sad: No interest by local people. They come, see, tell "great" and are never seen again.
CryptonicAlpha hat den Space des CCC Darmstadt gegenüber vom Luisencenter besucht. Der Space hat zunächst einen Großen Plenumraum mit Tischen in U-Form angeordnet mit mehreren Gigabit Switchen und Steckdosenleisten. Im gesamten Space befinden sich Ubiquity Wlan Accespoints und es gibt eine Space Automatisierung mit Homeassistant. Außerdem gibt es eine Chillecke im Plenumsraum und eine Werkstatt, sowie eine Küche mit Tisch und einen alten Fernseher aus der Airbase Ramstein. Auf dem Balkon gibt es einen kleinen Kräutergarten.
Hendi und Jasmin waren am 30.8.19 Abends als Auftakt ihres Kurzurlaubs zu Besuch. Schön eingerichtet, immer mal wieder gewachsen, 80 Mitglieder, viel Geblinke. Als wir da waren waren noch die Nachwehen des Camp zu spüren (AUCH MIT SPUREN VON SCHAFFENBURG!). Viel Spielzeug, Besucher werden rumgeführt, nahezu konstant unterhalten und zu einer Runde eines Spiels herausgefordert. :-) Dg3hda (Diskussion) 20:31, 13. Sep. 2019 (CEST)
Fablab Neckar-Alb Reutlingen
Code for Heilbronn
Frequently visited by Fraxinas (+ byteturtle, Robert, Hendi)
- very well equipped spacious premises
- very low membership fee (30€ annually, due to subsidised rent)
- most of all: they're an extraordinarily good team
- i've invited their board members to come visit and tell us about their secrets
- have helped us out with 5 members for the repair café 2018-09-29 !!
CCC Frankfurt am Main
- Counter-visit from Franz T. 2018-09-4